Coconut rice is eaten all around south-east Asia, and is not difficult to make. All you need is Jasmine rice, a little salt and can of coconut milk.
This recipe is a basic coconut rice recipe, and there’s no reason why you couldn’t pimp it up by putting sticks of cinnamon, star anise or cloves into the rice to give it a little extra something!
Why not serve with a sprinkle of fried shallots? You can usually buy these in tubs in most Asian supermarkets.
- 300 g jasmine rice
- 400 ml coconut milk 1 can, well shaken
- 400 ml water use the coconut can to measure same amount of water to coconut milk
- pinch salt
- Rinse the rice well in cold water until the water runs clear
- Place in pan with the water, coconut milk and rice. Bring to boil, and allow to simmer with lid on for the amount of time specified on the rice packet (or until the rice is fluffy and absorbed the water)
- Once the time is up. Turn off the heat, with a fork, fluff up the rice and replace the lid to allow it to steam for a further 5 minutes or so.